On the right shore of river Váh to the north from Považská Bystrica, approximately 497 metres above sea level, Považský castle, also called Bystrica castle or Bystrický castle, is placed on a limestone cliff. The castle was built in the 13th century after Tatar attack of Austria-Hungary and it functioned as a royal castle. Its strategic location made him a part of the fortification system of central Považie. Matúš Čák Trenčiansky seized this castle at the beginning of the 14th century. During his rule, specifically in 1316, the first written mention about the castle was recorded. Among other castle owners, robbery knights - Rafael a Ján Podmanický brothers represent a significant part of the castle history. These brothers have reached the pinnacle of power in 1540. Whole northern part of Trenčín office became independent under their rule (they occupied castles from Nové Mesto through Košeca, Lednica, Hričov to Budatín). From the second half of the 16th century, the castle belonged to Balašov family, who carried out its reconstruction and rebuilding, but later they left the castle. The end of castle’s glory came in 1698 when it was partially demolished by an imperial army and burned to prevent the castle’s settlement by rebels. Sapári family owned the castle from 1714, but they were not using the castle as well, so it was gradually decaying.
Považská Bystrica city, the current owner of the castle, together with Government office used EEA and Norway Grants to start renovations of the castle parts. Currently they carry out the damp-proofing of rock cliff, archaeological research, walling of residues of castle palace and they will also add security features and other attractions for visitors.
Where to find us