Royal castle Lednica was built in the second half of the 13th century as a protection of north-western boarder of Austria-Hungary. From 1259 to 1269 the castle was owned by a Lednice district governor named Marek and at the beginning of the 14th century the castle was seized by Matúš Čák Trenčiansky as well as Považský castle but after 1321 it was one again owned by a monarch. The castle was owned by a Pakši family at the end of the 14th century. Based on documents from 1504, Podmanický brothers were trying hard to seize the castle after the Battle of Moháč but they managed to occupy the castle by a military attack in 1533. Podmanický brothers owned the castle until Rafael’s death. When Turks started despoiling the Púchovská valley in 1663, they didn’t damage the castle at all. The castle started gradually decaying in the 18th century because together with other surrounding castles it came under power of imperial army that didn’t care much about the castle maintenance.
Reconstruction works of the castle began in 1962. These works were however carried out by an inappropriate material and procedures which caused another damage which was followed by the fall of the northern wall in 1999.Real interest in the castle rescue was demonstrated in 2006, when a draft of damp-proofing works was created with regard to the elimination of statics disorders. Currently, works on the perimeter wall of the palace, its cellar and its roof are carried out.
Where to find us